Journal 5
Chapters 13-15
Perspective of Scout
Dear Diary,
This week has just been unfallible in being one of the most interesting weeks in my life. First of all, Aunty Alexandra came for what she's callin' a "visit". But I'm afraid that it's gonna be a little bit more than just a tiny little visit. Atticus says that they were talkin' about that I need some feminine influence. But the way I see it, Calpurnia's a lady, right? I don't see why I need Aunty Alexandra to be here. I don't think that she's a good influence for me anyway. She's always so grumpy and mean. The rest o' Maycomb don't think that though. They welcomed her with open arms. I mean, even Mr. Nathan Radley came up to her just to say "hey". Ms. Maudie even baked her a lane cake. She's acting like she's been livin' here all of her life. I don't know how's she's acquired all this respect.
Me an' Jem have had to deal with a bit of teasin' for Atticus' work in court. People are talkin' behind our backs. I don't why they're doing it, but I'm pretty sure it has to do with all this talk about Tom Robinson and rape. I tried to extract from Atticus what rape meant, but the way he said it it was kind of hard to understand. But I'm pretty sure I'll figure it out soon enough. Atticus and Aunty Alexandra had a fight about Cal. At first, when they were talkin' about "her" and what not, I thought that they were talking about me. Thank goodness that they weren't talkin' about me. I hope that they don't end up gettin' rid of Cal, though. And now, Jem's actin' like an adult. He told me to stop antagonizing Aunt Alexandra, and he said that if I don't stop that he's gonna spank me! Who does he think that he is?
But after we had a fight about that, I found something under my bed. It was Dill! Finding Dill was really good compensation for this weird week. When I stepped on 'em, I thought he was a snake or somethin'. He was half starved to death! He also had a lot of dirt on him. He ran away from his home 'cause he feels his parents don't want him any more. But that was okay 'cause he got to stay with us in Maycomb for a bit.
Atticus went to his office in the middle of his night. He seemed really suspicous, so Jem decided that he was gonna go follow him downtown. We brought Dill with us, 'cause we know that he likes this kinda stuff. When we got there, we found that a buncha guys were tryin' to get Tom Robinson, but Atticus wasn't gonna let 'em. When we thought they were gonna try and beat him up, I went out. But I realised that I didn't know anyone in the group, I knew that they were up to no good. It was kinda scary. Atticus told us to go home, but when Jem said no, one of the guys picked him up. And then I kicked him. I was trying to kick him in the shin, but aimed a little high. After a while, they all left. Maybe it's 'cause I noticed Mr. Cunningham and I talked to him about entailments. I'm glad that nothin' happened , because I'm not sure how good Atticus is at fighting.
Journal #7 TKAM
16 years ago
Again, I like how you went into a lot of detal, and really got into the mind of Scout. I also like how you brought up the topic that Cal is a lady too, and therefor Aunt Alexandra is nolonger needed. And I also like how it show that Scout dislikes Aunt Alexandra. I spotted that one of you vocab terms was unfallible, but the real term was infallible. Even though they mean the same thing, I just wanted to point that out. Good Job - Justin
ReplyDelete